Security Camera Setup

I’m in the market for a surveillance system to secure some buildings. This is a story on how we got there.

Bought this dome camera: Hikvision 4MP DS-2CD2142FWD-I HD WDR IP Network Dome 2.8mm Lens

Previously bought this Synology DS216J NAS.

Thinking about buying this thing…

Though I had to download this thing: Hikvision SADPTool.

Needed to do activation and set a password:

I didn’t think I was going to need this initially since the Synology Surveillance Center found a generic camera, but now that I can see you’re supposed to activate the things first. After you’ve activated the cameras, the Synology bit can actually make heads or tails of what’s connected.

 

Good news is that after figuring out how to turn it on, setting a password, trying to use H.264+ encoding, tweaking motion detection settings, we’re recording! We’ll see what else can go wrong next as we try to add more cameras and/or do something useful with them.

A beautiful view of the inside of the laundry closet:

Drivetrain – Prototype

A group of 5 mechanical engineering seniors all involved with Formula SAE happened to join forces and earn credit for making race car parts. A good candidate system was the drivetrain of the race car – connecting the power plant to the wheels. In the past, we had experienced difficulties in setting and maintaining proper chain tension, so our focus was on a new bit of hardware that eased those pains.

The first step for class was to construct a prototype to demonstrate the big idea of what we were trying to accomplish. We did so by building a mock rear box of our steel space frame chassis, and installing our freshly designed chain tensioning rig in there.

Spot the Differences

There are 10 differences in the two photos below. This picture was taken on a bustling Saturday on the Venice Beach boardwalk.

Original Image
Modified Image
Solution Image

Final Booklet

Front Cover
Spread 1
Spread 2
Spread 3
Back Cover

Booklet

Comments were generally positive regarding the front and back covers, with the primary suggestions all relating to the treatment of the author name. In response, I adjust the scale, position, and color of the author name to make it less competitive with the title of the book. On the back cover, I added an email address to allow contact as suggested.

In all subsequent spreads I adjusted body leading from 8/9.6 to 8/10 to increase readability and improve typographic color. Hyphenation was enabled in the final spreads to improve the overall shape of the columns of text. As a consequence of these adjustments, some change in column lengths were made to keep a consistent finish in body text. These changes were all made based on feedback of intimidation, issues of readability, and oppressiveness of the various text filled areas of the spreads.

I also reworded some of the body for better applicability to the book and made some fine adjustments on image spacing on the second spread. Everything else was held constant with the support of the overall positive reviews from my peers.

The final booklet is being printed at Copies at Carson utilizing a 60lb cover with satin finish, and 28lb interior pages, saddle stitched.